Wednesday, November 30, 2011

How to Make a Teething Necklace; Alternatively, How to Make a Cute Necklace


     So today is a change of pace from my last blog post.  I bring to you a (hopefully) fun little craft project to pique your interest.  Anika has been showing signs of teething off and on for a while, and, like the baby she is, putting everything in her mouth.  While at a wedding recently, I wore a chunky beaded necklace, the first necklace I’ve worn since Anika discovered she could move her hands.  While sitting on my lap, though short lived before making her exit with daddy to the foyer of the church, she was mesmerized by my necklace, grabbing at it and whatnot.  Well, like the curious mom that I am, a quick look around etsy at teething necklaces left me thinking I should try exercising my crafting muscles (what few I have) in lieu of forking over $20 for something I could just as easily make.  I’m not that crafty and of course, googled ‘how to make a teething necklace’, yielding this sweet blog post as a result.  I bring to you a tutorial on how to make a teething necklace.  (I would really just encourage you to hop over to this blog, as she has much cooler pictures…)



Things you’ll need:
~A long piece of fabric, about 5” wide, and as long as you’d like it.  I didn’t follow her length recommendation for my first necklace, and it was a wee bit too short.  I did 54” for the second one, and it was much better—gives Anika more to hold on to.
~Some large plastic or wooden beads.  I used wooden balls from Hobby Lobby
~Some scissors and a sewing machine.  Or, if you don’t have a sewing machine, (like me) needle, thread and lots of patience.

What to do:

1.       Cut a strip of fabric 5" wide by roughly 54" long.  Sew it together with right sides facing and then flip it right side out and form a long tube.

2.        Measure about 13" from one end and then tie the tube into a knot.


3.        Slip your first bead into the tube and then tie another knot right after the bead.

4.        Continue adding beads and knots until you have about the same length as the first side of your tube left. Finish with a knot.


5.        Now cut each end of the tube into three equal strips - feel free to snip and then tear it, it doesn't have to be perfect.

6.       Braid each side and then sew the ends together.  I’ll admit, this was a bit tricky without a sewing machine, and it’s not the neatest looking, but I figure, not a whole lot of people are going to be looking at the back of my neck.  However, she does suggest a button and elastic loop closure sewn at the ends, which would look pretty cute…good luck figuring that one out for yourself though.  Again, my craftiness is rather limited.


I considered this little project, overall a success, and I would say it’s just as appropriate for mothers and non-mothers alike.  It is a little time intensive without a sewing machine.  Not a problem if you are doing this while you catch up on the latest Survivor episode or something equally as low key.  I wouldn’t recommend starting this project while your baby is in the throes of teething pain, as daddy frantically walks around the house with her.  I’ll let you guess which scenario happened at my household….

Stay tuned for some fun and upcoming posts on some recipes perfect for holiday entertaining—be sure to subscribe to my blog to stay in the loop!

No comments:

Post a Comment