Thursday, December 15, 2011

Queso Dip that puts Velveeta to Shame

I remember having a queso dip years ago at a super bowl party that was outta this world.  I never did try to replicate the recipe, and since making a move toward more real, traditional foods, wasn’t sure how I would replicate it without Velveeta.  Velveeta, in case you’re not aware, is NOT real food.  Sorry.  Here’s a recipe that has real food in it.  I can’t take credit for this recipe-- Food Renegade is the brains behind this wonderful concoction.  However, I did tweak it a bit to more closely match the queso dip I remember many super bowls ago.  My version may not be the most authentically Tex-mex dish, but hey, this is how we Midwesterners do things! ;)

1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp. arrowroot powder (if you’re scratching your head, wondering what the heck arrowroot powder is, don’t freak out, corn starch works too. Arrowroot is preferable though)
1 Tbsp. milk
1 C. cream (again, if you’re wondering, dang, I don’t have any cream, first of all, don’t freak out about it being fatty, and bad for you--it’s not! But, I subbed an additional cup of milk...whole milk is preferable..)
1 C. milk
8 oz. grated cheddar cheese
4 oz. cream cheese (optional)
2 C. salsa
½ lb-1 lb ground sausage (I used mild breakfast sausage, cause I’m a spice wimp.)
salt & chipotle chili powder to taste


1.) Brown sausage in a pan. Set aside for later on in the recipe.

2.) Mix egg yolk, arrowroot powder, and 1Tbsp. milk until smooth.  This helps create the Velveeta-effect.

3.) Next, pour cream and milk into a saucepan and warm over medium heat. Gently stir in the thickener and continue stirring until the cream starts to thicken.

3.) Once your sauce begins to thicken, add in the grated cheddar cheese and small spoonfuls of the cream cheese.. Lower heat to medium low, then continue stirring until the cheese melts and you have a deliciously creamy sauce.

4.) Next, add salsa, sausage, and salt and chili powder and stir to mix well.  That’s it. You’re Welcome. :)

I wish I had a picture of this, because that seems to make me a more legit blogger, but, how about a picture of a cute baby instead?


                                          Like this queso dip, I could just eat those cheeks right up! :)

This post is part of Real Food Wednesdays and Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways 

No comments:

Post a Comment