Friday, January 6, 2012

Who I Am, part 2

     So in part 1, I talked a lot about stuff.  (well, and this post too..) And giving up cable.  And apparently how that relates to who I am.  Because the choices I make for my life help to make up who I am, but that's not all that I am.  Talking about too much stuff, and simplifying, and giving up things can lead to the territory of legalism real fast.  Because it's not about how simple, or complex my life is, it's about being able to see God clearly in the midst of my life, even in the mundane details.
     I read a book recently on parenting ('cause, you know, I'm new to this parenting thing) call Simplicity Parenting,, by Kim John Payne.  In it the Payne talked a lot about stuff as well.  He devoted a chapter to toys--how to get rid of the excess, to be more specific.  He explained that each toy to a young child represents a choice, and how too many toys really mean too many choices, and the child can easily get overwhelmed.  So much of my life right now, I am seeing through the lens of my own child.  When I read that, it really resonated with me, not only for Anika's sake, but for my own sake.  How easily my choice to set my heart on things above, instead of the things of this world can get crowded out by too many choices.  I'd like to think that because I am an adult, and not a child, that I could have the inner discipline to choose wisely how to spend my time, my money, my resources, but if I get really honest with myself, my faith, at times, can be very childlike--too overwhelmed by too many choices to be effective.  And so, with the dawn of a new year, I continue the process of renewing my mind that was started in my heart so many years ago-- to simplify.  How are you simplifying your life in the new year?   

No comments:

Post a Comment