Thursday, February 9, 2012

A gift in the night

                                                     photo by: Sean MacEntee


Because of God's great love, we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning, great is your faithfullness.                                              - Lamentations 3:22-23

Even at 1 in the morning.  Last night (or rather, this morning) Anika had some sort of freak diaper leak, leaving her pajamas and sheets soaked.  I sleepily went through the motions of changing the wet sleep paraphernalia, and as I did, I glanced over at Anika, who was studying me with the biggest smile I ever saw so early in the morning.  All sense of sleeplessness melted away, and I grabbed hold of the precious moment I had to share with this young soul in the wee hours of the night.  I vaguely remember babbling something about how accidents happen sometimes, and that it was ok, and she just continued to look at me with such a serene look on her face.  That peaceful moment in the midst of a sleepless night was like a tall, cool glass of water for this weary mama's soul.

     I've recently begun to read Ann Voskamp's book, One Thousand Gifts, and it's already changing my outlook on the mundane details of my life, as I, too, put pen to paper and attempt to etch out one thousand gifts in my own life.  I'm excited to see where this journey will lead me....won't you join me?


No comments:

Post a Comment